Our of our dearest friends was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. He's undergoing chemotherapy at the moment and may end up having radiation sometime during the summer. My husband was adamant that I make him a quilt.
With all the preparations and excitement of opening the shop and getting ready for our local quilt show in 2 weeks, I just could not find the time. It was then that I remembered a handmade quilt purchased at an auction in 1998 waiting on the rack ready to be quilted. Unknown is the maker's name or what year it was done. Perhaps you have an idea by looking at the fabrics?
I can't tell you how often I've pulled this quilt out, looked at it, and returned it to the rack. I guess it just wasn't time to tackle it. You see, it has issues...
There is extra fullness in some blocks:
The blocks aren't all even:
The seams were sewn willy-nilly: I could not iron the seams in the same/right direction. It would have meant taking the whole quilt apart and resewing it. I did not wish to do this.
My wish was to quilt it to preserve it; in order to do that and to reinforce the seams, it was necessary to quilt it with an all-over design, one that would take care of some extra fullness. I chose Vanilla Cream panto by Anne Bright and it worked beautifully. Don't you just love these pinks?
I chose a Blue Hill fabric from the Captain Phillips Collection c.1860 by Carrie Quinn for the backing (available in the shop). It looks like a shirting which coordinates well with the top. Quilting was done with Glide Pearl on the top and Mocha in the bobbin. I just love this thread!!! Batting is 100% poly because I wanted the loft of the batting to help reduce the chance of tucks and folds.
This block pattern is known as Hole in the Barn Door. I'm calling this quilt Barnside! A special name for a special friend. I wish its maker could see it finished and be gifted to one who dedicated his life to helping others
The binding will be prepared later today and sewn over the weekend, at least that's the plan. I need to have something to do with my hands in the evening! This makes 3 quilt tops in need of binding counting the two from last month. Sunday will be busy!
Up next on Lolah is the De Deauville a Cape Cod quilt. Shivers... I hope I can do it justice! Wish me luck!